- Repository: Canton Historical Society (Collinsville, Conn)
- Creator: Collins Company
- Title: Collins Company Catalogs
- Dates: 1883 – 1957
- Extent: 1.171
- Abstract: Catalogs from the Collins Company showing the products they manufactured and sold. Some of the catalogs are in Spanish and Portuguese. The Collins Company had factories in South America and Central America.Tools include axes, podaderas, adges, machetes, hoes, plows, fire axes, etc.
- Physical Location: Archival Storage Room F
- Languages Represented: English, Spanish, Portuguese
The Collins Company purchased land on the Farmington River in what is now the Collinsville section of Canton, Connecticut in 1826 for the sole purpose of starting an axe factory. Sam Collins, brother David Collins, and their cousin William Welles, started the company with the idea of building a better axe, using mass production techniques. The Collins Company expanded from just axes to farm equipment, machetes, and other edge tools.
Scope and Content of Collection
Catalogs containing information on: axes, adzes, plows, podaderas, hoes, machetes, knives, bowie knives, fire axes, hatchets, picks, cane knives, hammers, broad axes, bush hooks, chisels, cleavers, mattocks, sledges, cast iron and Dycast tools. Black and white pictures and color pictures of items.
- Chronological by date of publication.
- Restrictions: Limited access to actual catalogs. Digital scans available.
- Publication Rights: For copyright status, please contact the Canton Historical Society (Collinsville, CT).
- The Collins Company Collection
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library’s online public access catalog.
- Axes, adzes, plows, podaderas, hoes, machetes, knives, bowie knives, fire axes, hatchets, picks, cane knives, hammers, broad axes, bush hooks, chisels, cleavers, mattocks, sledges, cast iron and dycast tools
- Canton, CT
- Collins Company Factory
- Collinsville, CT
- David Collins
- Industiral Revolution
- Samuel W. Collins
- William Welles
- Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], [Box no], Canton Historical Society (Collinsville, Conn)
- Acquisition Information: Compiled from various sources including local citizens and documents found after the closing of the Collins Company.